Kelly McGuire is a freelance writer, editor, and translator and the owner of Kestrel Text & Translation, providing Chinese-English and Dutch-English translation and editing services to clients across the world. She also offers a range of English-language content solutions to companies in the Netherlands and abroad.
Originally from the tiny nation of Gibraltar, she has previously studied and worked in the United Kingdom, the People’s Republic of China, and Taiwan and has been living and working in the Netherlands since 2006.
Want to learn more? Full details of Kelly McGuire’s professional and educational background can be found on her LinkedIn profile.
A Brief Introduction
- Studied for a BA (Hons) in Modern Chinese Studies at the University of Leeds, which included a year studying Mandarin and Chinese culture at Tianjin Normal University (天津示范大学).
- Studied for an MA in Conflict Resolution at Lancaster University, with a focus on diplomacy, conflict management, and language policy in western Europe.
- Currently working as a freelance writer, editor, and translator for her own company, Kestrel Text & Translation.
- Passionate about wildlife conservation and heritage preservation, an avid reader of biographies and travel writing, and a self-styled “language nerd”.
- Worked as a freelance Chinese-English translator, writer, and proofreader for Oxbridge Consulting Inc. (Taipei, Taiwan), where she translated and proofread CVs, cover letters, and other supporting material for clients applying for further study in the United Kingdom.
- Worked as a volunteer Chinese-English translator for the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences’ Institute of Archaeology (Beijing, People’s Republic of China), where she translated staff biographies, bibliographies, and news articles for the department’s English-language website.
- Performed quality checks on Chinese subtitle files and coordinated the translation of programme titles, synopses, and metadata from English into French and German during her time as a Scheduler at Chello DMC (Amsterdam, The Netherlands).
Continuous Professional Development
- Cultural Aspects of Video Game Localization (webinar), Smartcat Academy (February 2018).
- International SEO Fundamentals, LinkedIn (October 2016).
- SEO Tools Fundamentals, LinkedIn (October 2016).
- Social Media for Nonprofits, LinkedIn (October 2016).
- Social Media Marketing: Managing Online Communities, Lynda.com (May 2016).
- Inbound Certification, Hubspot Academy (January 2016).
- Advanced SEO Tactics and Strategies (MOZ), Udemy (October 2015).
- SEO Training Course (MOZ), Udemy (October 2015).
- Undergraduate Certificate in Archaeology (with Distinction), University of Leicester (2008-2010).